Summer Pasta Salad with Grilled Vegetables
8 oz. rotini, shells or other short pasta
3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 medium-sized zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters
1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
1 bunch scallions, trimmed
1 cup black brine-cured olives, such as kalamata
2 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- Prepare medium-hot charcoal fire, or preheat gas grill (or broiler).
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain, and rinse thoroughly to cool. Transfer to large bowl, and toss with 1 Tbs. olive oil.
- Whisk together remaining olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in 9x13-inch baking dish. Add tomatoes, zucchini, red pepper and scallions, and toss to coat with oil mixture. Thread cherry tomatoes on wooden skewers, if using (see tip).
- Transfer zucchini and pepper to grill rack. Grill, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and scallions to grill rack, and cook until all vegetables are tender and grill-marked, 2 to 4 minutes more. Remove from grill, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Chop zucchini, pepper and scallions coarsely, and add vegetables to pasta. Slide tomatoes off skewers onto pasta. Add remaining marinade, olives and herbs, and toss well.