Summer Salad Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dressing
30 minutes or fewer
Rice paper wrappers (also sold as spring roll skins) can be found in the Asian section of many markets. Cut all the filling ingredients about 3 1/2 inches long. Cut crunchy ingredients, like carrots or bell peppers, the thinnest; slice softer ones, like cucumbers, thicker. If making ahead, place rolls in a plastic container, cover with a damp towel and seal tightly. They will keep at room temperature up to 3 hours. The sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead and refrigerated.
SPICY PEANUT DRESSING
SUMMER SALAD ROLLS
- ½ cup silken soft tofu
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 3 Tbs. sweet white miso
- 1 ½ Tbs. low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 12 8-inch round rice paper wrappers
- 12 leaves Boston lettuce, thick ribs removed
- 8 oz. Thai-style baked tofu, cut into 24 strips
- ¼ seedless European cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1 small, firm, ripe papaya (red or yellow flesh), seeded, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into thin strips
- ½ cup cilantro leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- ½ cup mint leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- ¾ cup chopped salted roasted peanuts
- 2 limes, cut into wedges for garnish
To make Spicy Peanut Dressing:
1. Purée all ingredients, except lime juice and crushed red pepper, in blender until smooth. Pour into small pitcher or bowl; stir in lime juice and crushed red pepper.
To make Summer Salad Rolls:
2. Fill bowl with hot water; immerse wrappers, 2 at a time, until soft, about 1 minute. Stack wrappers in 2 piles with damp paper towels between the wrappers.
3. Lay lettuce leaf on lower third of rice wrapper, lining up both edges. Arrange 3 or 4 strips each of tofu, cucumber, carrot, papaya, bell pepper and avocado in center of lettuce; top with sprinkling of cilantro, mint and chopped peanuts. Starting at closest edge, lift edges of wrapper and lettuce up and over filling, then fold in sides. Roll into tight cylinder like a burrito. Place roll, seam side down, on platter, and cover with a damp towel. Repeat with remaining wrappers. Garnish with lime wedges, and serve with Spicy Peanut Sauce.