Sun-Dried Tomato and Arugula Tartines
30 minutes or fewer
"Peppery arugula is like a spice itself," says French chef and instructor Emmanuel Tessier of La Cuisine Corsaire in Cancale, France. Toasting the arugula under cheese in these sandwiches slightly wilts the leaves for a texture that's a cross between cooked spinach and crunchy lettuce.
- 6 oz. soft tofu, drained
- 3 oz. sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 20-inch baguette, halved lengthwise, then cut into thirds
- 2 cups arugula, divided
- 18 pitted kalamata olives, chopped, divided
- 3 oz. sliced Gruyère cheese (6 slices)
1. Blend tofu, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper in blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in basil.
2. Divide tofu spread among baguette slices. Top each with 6 to 8 arugula leaves, and sprinkle with olives. Top with cheese, and toast under broiler 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.