Sweet Potato and Black Bean Hash
30 minutes or fewer
Canned black beans and frozen corn kernels are the shortcut ingredients in this nicely spiced entrée with a South American accent. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and lime wedges (to squeeze over the top) if desired.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1. In large heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add sweet potato, and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown in spots, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring often, 30 seconds. Add ¾ cup water and cook, stirring to scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan, until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste, and serve hot.
March 2000 p.41