Sweet Potato Bisque with Shiitake Mushrooms
The earthy flavors of wild mushrooms
add depth and richness to this creamy soup.
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 medium-sized carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 herb bundle (about 30 stems fresh parsley and 6 to 10 stems fresh thyme)
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems and caps separated
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 6 scallions, trimmed and finely minced
- ½ cup heavy cream, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove from heat, add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, just until garlic releases its fragrance.
- Add vegetable stock, wine, sweet potatoes, herb bundle, shiitake stems and tomato purée and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 30 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are soft. Discard herb bundle and shiitake stems.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping: Heat remaining butter in skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook for 2 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Dice shiitake caps, add to skillet, and cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Use slotted spoon to transfer solids from saucepan to bowl of food processor, reserving cooking liquid. Purée vegetables until very smooth, adding 1/2 cup stock, if necessary. Return purée to saucepan and stir to mix. Add 1/2 cup cream and heat through. Add white pepper and cayenne. Adjust seasonings and serve with shiitake-scallion garnish.
If you’re in the mood for a red wine, go for Pinot Noir. Otherwise, choose a white wine with low enough acidity to meet the creaminess of the soup, but with enough fruit to highlight the earthiness of the tubers and fungus. Try Trimbach Pinot Blanc.