Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie
Pumpkin pie may be a holiday dessert, but similarly-seasoned sweet potato pie is a beloved Southern specialty year-round. And if you want to take some of the guilt out of indulging in this dessert, just tell yourself a slice takes care of almost 100 percent of your daily vitamin A needs.
- 2 cups cooked, puréed orange-fleshed sweet potato, such as Beauregard, garnet, or jewel
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. bourbon
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 9-inch whole-wheat frozen pie shell
- 2 Tbs. chopped toasted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together sweet potato, brown sugar, flour, bourbon, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and eggs in large bowl until smooth. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with pecans.
2. Place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes, or until center is set. Cool on wire rack.
January 2010 p.57