Sweet Potato Latkes (Sweet Potato Pancakes)
30 minutes or fewer
Shredded sweet potatoes stand in for russets in this version of potato pancakes, and puréed sweet potatoes replace eggs to make the recipe vegan. Starchy, dry-fleshed sweet potatoes, such as Okinawan or boniato, work best. If you use a moist, extra-sweet type, such as Beauregard or garnet, keep a close eye on the latkes while they cook—the potatoes’ high sugar content may make the latkes burn if they’re cooked just a moment too long. Serve with Vanilla Applesauce and vegan sour cream.
- ¼ cup baked, puréed sweet potato
- 1 ¼ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. canola oil, divided
1. Combine sweet potato purée, shredded sweet potatoes, onion, flour, salt, and pepper in bowl. Shape into 1/4-inch-thick patties.
2. Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray; add 1 tsp. oil. Add 3 patties. Cook 3 minutes; flip, and cook 2 minutes more, or until browned on both sides. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
January 2010 p.57