Sweet Potato Salad with Apple and Avocado
30 minutes or fewer
More a meal than a side dish, this potato salad
gets its protein from avocado
and pumpkin seeds, both good sources of essential fatty acids. Nutrient-rich corn and diced apple give it crunch. Try serving it over a bed of spinach or arugula.
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup unsalted hulled pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1 medium red apple, diced (1 cup)
- ½ small onion, finely chopped (½ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ avocado, finely diced
1. Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes. Add corn, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender. Drain in colander and rinse under cold water to cool. Drain well.
2. Toast pumpkin seeds in dry skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until seeds begin to pop. Transfer to plate, and cool.
3. Combine apple, onion, cilantro, and lime juice in large bowl. Stir in sweet potatoes, corn, and oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in avocado and toasted pumpkin seeds just before serving.