Sweet Potato-Vegetable Casserole
This pretty casserole, layered with colorful vegetables, gets its zip from the exotic taste of sesame tahini and garam masala.
¼ cup blanched almonds (1 ½ oz.)
1 to 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
8 tsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
3 medium leeks (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
3 medium carrots, halved crosswise then lengthwise and cut into thin strips
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
¼ to ½ tsp. dried marjoram
2 medium sweet potatoes (8 oz. each), peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium red bell peppers, roasted and cut into thin strips
Ingredient Set Name:
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs. tahini
⅛ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Grease 8-inch square glass baking dish or other 2-quart casserole. Set aside. In food processor or blender, process almonds just until minced. Add yeast and blend briefly by pulsing. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl. In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add leeks and cook 5 minutes, stirring often and lowering heat if necessary. Add to onion, mix well and set aside.
- In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add carrots and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Transfer to another bowl. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in skillet. Add zucchini and marjoram; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Make tahini sauce: In small saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in tahini and 1 cup water. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala, salt and pepper; keep warm until ready to use (do not boil or mixture may curdle).
- In prepared baking dish, layer one-third the sweet potato slices, half the leek mixture, another one-third potatoes, then remaining leeks. Top with carrots, zucchini, pepper strips and remaining potatoes; drizzle with tahini sauce. Cover with parchment paper and then foil. Bake until knife inserted in center pierces all layers easily, about 40 minutes.
- Remove paper and foil. Sprinkle casserole with reserved almond mixture and bake, uncovered, until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.