Swiss Chocolate-Almond Tart
When using this crust recipe for other fillings, you can omit the almond
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed almond meal or almond flour
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract, optional
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 12-oz. can low-fat evaporated milk
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
1. To make Crust: Beat egg white with electric mixer until pale and frothy. Beat in sugar and salt, then almond meal, cornstarch, butter, vanilla, and almond extract (if using). Chill 15 minutes.
2. Roll out dough on work surface dusted with cornstarch or between two pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap. Coat 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Press Crust into prepared pan, and trim edges.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line Crust with foil or parchment paper, and fill with dried beans. Parbake Crust 8 minutes.
4. To make Filling: toast almond slivers on baking sheet in oven 5 minutes.
5. Bring evaporated milk, coconut milk, and sugar to a boil in saucepan. Place chopped chocolate in heat-proof bowl, pour milk mixture over top, and whisk until chocolate is melted. Return to saucepan, and return to a boil.
6. Whisk eggs in same heat-proof bowl. Whisk chocolate mixture into eggs. Pour hot chocolate mixture into Crust. Bake 10 minutes, or until Filling is set. Cool, then sprinkle with toasted almonds.
November 2012 p.45