Szechuan Black-Eyed Pea Salad
30 minutes or fewer
It's no small wonder that this salad, developed by Laura McAllister, won first prize in VT's 2007 Reader Recipe Contest and has continued to win over readers ever since: the perfect combination of basic ingredients makes for a salad
that's delicious as a light lunch or hearty dinner side dish.
- 2 14oz. cans blackeyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 avocado, cubed (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. vegan Szechuan sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
1. Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in large bowl. Toss avocado with lemon juice in separate bowl. Add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in bowl used for avocado. Add black-eyed pea mixture, and toss to mix.
October 2007 p.69