Tandoori Eggplant Kebabs
If you use nonfat plain yogurt, add 1 tablespoon olive oil
to the sauce, or to keep it vegan, substitute soy yogurt.
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 1-inch-thick eggplant rounds, quartered (½ medium eggplant)
- 16 wedges yellow bell pepper (2 small bell peppers)
- 16 red onion wedges (½ medium onion)
- 16 ½-inch-thick zucchini rounds (2 medium zucchini)
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat pita rounds
- ½ cup mango chutney
1. Place cilantro, garlic, ginger, lime juice, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper in food processor. Process until smooth. Add yogurt, and process to blend, scraping down sides of work bowl as necessary. Transfer to large bowl, and add eggplant, bell pepper, onion, and zucchini; toss to coat. Let vegetables marinate 30 minutes at room temperature.
2. Thread eggplant, bell pepper, onion, and zucchini onto skewer. Repeat process until each of 4 skewers holds 4 pieces of each vegetable.
3. Oil grill grates, and preheat grill to medium-low. Place kebabs on grill, close hood, and cook 18 minutes, turning skewers 2 or 3 times, or until eggplant is tender. Transfer to platter, and cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Warm pitas on grill 30 seconds on each side. Slide vegetables onto pita. Use chutney as dip or topper.