- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- ½ tsp. tangerine zest
- 2 ¼-inch coins fresh ginger
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- Slivered candied ginger, for garnish
1. Heat milk, tangerine zest, and ginger coins in medium saucepan over medium heat, until milk’s surface begins to bubble, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and cool.
2. Strain milk through fine sieve into medium bowl, discarding tangerine zest and ginger coins. Mix in sugar. Beat eggs with pinch of salt in small bowl. Whisk beaten eggs into milk mixture.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Fill 6 4-oz. (½-cup) ramekins with custard. Place ramekins in roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with boiling water that reaches about one-third up sides of ramekins. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until custards jiggle slightly. Remove from water bath, and cool. Garnish each custard with a tangerine section and slivered candied ginger before serving.November/December 2008 p.51