Teriyaki Tofu & Pineapple Kebabs
30 minutes or fewer
- 1 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 18 cubes
- ½ large pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 12 ¾-inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 12 pieces
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Thread each of 6 bamboo skewers with 3 cubes tofu, 2 cubes pineapple, and 2 pieces bell pepper, and place in baking dish.
2. Simmer soy sauce, mirin, oil, ginger, garlic, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes 3 minutes in skillet over medium heat.
3. Combine arrowroot and 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. cold water in bowl. Add to skillet, and simmer 2 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken. Pour sauce over kebabs, and bake 20 minutes, turning once to keep kebabs coated in sauce.
January/February 2012 p.64