Thai Curried Noodles with Broccoli and Tofu
30 minutes or fewer
This creamy, golden noodle dish is modeled after the Thai dish khao soi, which combines sweet, spicy, and sour flavors in one bowl.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro stems, plus ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 2 Tbs. yellow or red Thai curry paste
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 15-oz. can light coconut milk
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 12-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 5 oz. dry fettuccine
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 6 lime wedges, for garnish
1. Heat oil in medium pot over medium-high heat. Sauté shallots in oil 2 minutes. Add cilantro stems, curry paste, curry powder, and turmeric; cook 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, broth, and brown sugar, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes, then stir in tofu. Simmer 10 minutes.
2. Cook fettuccine in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Add broccoli to pot for last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain, and add to tofu-curry mixture. Mix well, and serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.
April/May 2011 p.38