Thai Lemongrass and Chile Soup
This simple soup
is packed with flavor.
- ¾ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 small hot green chilies, seeded and halved (optional)
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large lemongrass stalks, peeled and cut into 4-inch pieces
- 3 dried Thai kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. peeled, minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp. roasted chile paste
- 1 ½ cups chopped oyster or white mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- In medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth to a simmer with lemongrass stalks and dried lime leaves if desired.
- In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, about 30 seconds. When broth has simmered for 5 minutes, remove lemongrass and lime leaves and discard. Add cooked garlic and ginger to broth. Return broth to a boil and stir in chile paste and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms have wilted, about 30 seconds, then stir in lime juice and soy sauce. Remove from heat and ladle soup into small bowls.
- Top each bowl with a few tomatoes, a little cilantro and a small pinch of hot green chilies if desired.
- Alternatively, mix tomatoes and chilies together and place in a small serving bowl. Set on the table for people to help themselves.