Thanksgiving Caesar Salad with Stuffing Croutons
Homemade croutons dusted with poultry seasoning—the ultimate Thanksgiving herb blend, and totally vegetarian—give this simple salad a holiday feel.
- 4 oz. French baguette, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- ½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 Tbs. reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. whole-grain mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn (10 cups)
- 2 red-skin pears, halved and thinly sliced
- Shaved Parmesan for garnish, optional
1. To make Croutons: Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss baguette cubes with oil, poultry seasoning, onion powder, and salt in large bowl until well coated. Spread on baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until light brown and crispy. Cool.
2. To make Salad: Whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper in large serving bowl. Add lettuce, and toss to coat. Top with sliced pears, Croutons, and shaved Parmesan (if using).
November 2012 p.60