Three Sisters Sauté
30 minutes or fewer
Corn has always been one of the most important foods in the Native American
diet. Here, it's combined with summer squash, beans and fresh tomatoes.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. minced garlic
- ½ cup packed fresh sage leaves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise with mandoline or box shredder
- 1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise with mandoline or box shredder
- 1 cup cooked or canned beans (black, anasazi, Appaloosa, calypso)
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels
- Fresh sage leaves, for garnish
To make Sage Pesto:
1. In food processor or blender, combine all pesto ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
To make Sauté:
2. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add squash ribbons, beans, tomatoes, corn and 1 heaping Tbs. of sage pesto. Cook, stirring often, until squash is tender and mixture is heated through, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to large bowl, garnish with sage leaves and serve remaining pesto on the side.