Thumbprint Almond Pound Cakes
Even though these cakes dont rise in the center, they got top scores from VT tasters. We turned the flaw into a feature and found that the indented tops were the perfect shape for a dollop of jam.
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup almond flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sugar
½ cup (1 stick) vegan margarine
1 ½ Tbs. egg replacer
½ cup plain soymilk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. almond extract
½ cup apricot or raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 12 muffin tins with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
- Combine flours and baking powder in large bowl. Set aside. Cream sugar and margarine with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Whisk together egg replacer and 1/4 cup warm water until frothy. Beat egg replacer mixture into sugar mixture, then beat in soymilk.
- Add flour mixture, and beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed, and beat 4 minutes, or until batter is smooth and pale. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin tins. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cakes brown around edges. Cool completely in tins, then unmold.
- Make an indentation in the center of each cake with your thumb, if necessary. Spoon about 2 tsp. jam into each indentation. Store in refrigerator if not serving immediately.