Makes 36 cookies
For drip-free results, fill the cookie centers with jam before baking, as described in the directions, or squeeze jam into thumbprint indentations after the cookies have cooled.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- ⅓ cup vanilla soymilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
1. Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
2. Beat sugar and margarine with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in soymilk, vanilla extract, and almond extract until combined. Beat in flour mixture until soft dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes, or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray. Roll dough into ½-inch balls, and place dough balls 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Press indentation in center of each ball with thumb.
4. Place jam in resealable plastic bag, close, and snip bottom corner with scissors. Squeeze jam into indentations in cookies. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are light brown. Transfer to wire rack with spatula, and cool.
September 2008 p.66