Toasted Quinoa Tabbouleh
Quinoa lends itself well to the herbs and citrus of tabbouleh, and packs more plant protein than the traditional grain used, bulgur wheat. Taste and adjust the seasonings before serving the salad, as the grains may absorb some of the added flavor.
1. Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer under cool running water. Drain.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add quinoa, and toast 10 minutes, or until moisture evaporates and quinoa is fragrant and golden, stirring constantly with flat-tipped spoon or rice paddle.
3. Bring 21/2 cups water to boil in saucepan. Add 1/4 tsp. salt, then add quinoa. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork, and transfer to large bowl to cool.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. salt in small bowl.
5. Stir tomatoes, parsley, cucumbers, green onions, and mint into cooled quinoa. Pour dressing over top, and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate until salad is cold.