Tofu and Cucumber Salad with Sesame-Ginger Dressing
30 minutes or fewer
Furikake, a Japanese rice seasoning, adds subtle taste and texture to this salad. To make your own furikake, crumble 1 sheet of nori (toasted seaweed used to wrap sushi) and toss with 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds and 1/4 tsp. sea salt.
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tsp. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. mirin (rice wine)
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 16-oz. pkg. soft tofu, drained
- 3 Japanese cucumbers, 1 English cucumber, or 2 garden cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- 2 oz. daikon radish sprouts, trimmed
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp. veg furikake seasoning, such as Eden Shake
1. To make Dressing: Blend all ingredients in blender 1 minute. Chill.
2. To make Salad: Cut tofu into 12 rectangular slices. Lay 3 slices of tofu, overlapping slightly, on each of 4 plates. Arrange cucumber slices around tofu, and fan avocado slices on plates. Scatter sprouts, then green onions over vegetables. Drizzle Dressing over Salad. Sprinkle with furikake.
September 2011 p.72