Tofu Kabobs with Cherry Barbecue Sauce
Serve these kabobs with warmed hot-dog rolls to soak up all the tangy sauce. If you're using wooden skewers, be sure to pre-soak them 30 minutes in cold water to keep them from burning.
- 2 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, cubed
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 ½ Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup cherry preserves
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground coriander
- 8 hot dog rolls, optional
1. Place tofu on paper towels, and cover with another layer of towels. Set dinner plate on top, and put 2 cans on plate. Let stand 15 minutes, then pat tofu dry.
2. Whisk together juice and cornstarch in bowl. Warm 1/2 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in preserves, ketchup, vinegar, cayenne, coriander and orange juice mixture, and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is glossy, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Brush grill rack with oil, and preheat grill. Thread tofu cubes on skewers. Brush tofu with remaining oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Grill kabobs 6 to 8 minutes, or until cubes are browned, turning occasionally.
5. Transfer to serving platter, and brush with sauce. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce on the side.