Tofu Scramble Brunch Ring
Tofu scrambles are tasty, but they aren’t the prettiest dish for a party. Here, crescent roll dough turns the breakfast fave into a sliceable showstopper.
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- ½ cup shredded vegan Cheddar cheese, optional
- 2 8-oz. cans refrigerated vegan crescent dinner rolls, such as Pillsbury
1. Stir together tofu, nutritional yeast, mustard, and turmeric in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
2. Coat skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add onion, cover, and cook 3 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Stir onion-garlic mixture into tofu; fold in broccoli and cheese, if using. Cool.
3. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray. Unroll both cans of dough, and separate into triangles. Arrange triangles on prepared baking sheet with short sides of triangles toward center and points facing out, making sun shape of overlapping triangles with 4-inch round opening in center. Lightly press dough to flatten slightly.
4. Spoon tofu mixture around crescent roll ring, leaving center clear. Pull points of triangles over filling and tuck under to form ring. (Filling will be visible.) Cover, and chill overnight, if desired.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake Brunch Ring 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
January 2010 p.50