Tomato and Tofu Soup
This warming soup leaves the pleasant tang of cilantro and garlic chives on the tongue. If you can’t find garlic chives, substitute green onions.
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz. soft tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 small shallot, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 4 plum tomatoes, quartered, divided
- 1 tsp. turbinado sugar
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ cup canned straw mushrooms, rinsed, drained, and halved
- 2 Tbs. Tomato Sauce
- 2 tsp. tamarind paste
- ½ cup flat garlic chives, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 Tbs. coarsely chopped cilantro
1. Bring broth to a boil in saucepan. Add tofu, and simmer 3 minutes.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, and sauté 1 minute. Add 8 tomato quarters, sugar, and red pepper flakes (if using). Sauté 3 minutes more. Stir shallot mixture into broth with remaining 8 tomato quarters, mushrooms, and Tomato Sauce. Bring to a boil, and stir in tamarind paste. Serve garnished with garlic chives and cilantro.
September 2014 p.58