Tortilla “Fattoush” Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Got an open bag of tortilla chips on hand? Whip up this colorful salad—a Mexican spin on Middle Eastern "fattoush" traditionally made with toasted pitas. If you can't find fresh tomatillos, substitute 1 cup green enchilada sauce.
- 2 tomatillos
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, deveined, and chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and diced (4 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, finely diced (1 cup)
- 3 small red bell peppers, finely diced (1 cup)
- ½ 16-oz. bag no-salt corn tortilla chips (4 cups)
- 1 avocado, diced (1 cup)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Cook tomatillos in pot of boiling, salted water 5 minutes, or until soft. Rinse under cold water, and pat dry. Transfer to blender, and purée with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and jalapeño. With blender running, add oil in steady stream, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, mix together cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and bell peppers in large bowl. Break tortilla chips into pieces over vegetable mixture, and add ½ cup tomatillo sauce. Garnish with diced avocado and crumbled feta.