Tortilla Lasagna with Swiss Chard
Italy meets Mexico in this easy casserole made with corn tortillas instead of noodles.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Swiss chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 4 ½ cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
- 9 6-inch corn tortillas, divided
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 3 Tbs. grated Romano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Add chard stems and onion, and cook 8 minutes, or until soft, stirring often. Add chard leaves and garlic. Cover, and cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes, or until chard leaves are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Combine 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce and basil. Spread 1/2 cup tomato-basil sauce over bottom of 10-inch springform pan. Arrange 3 tortillas in single layer (overlapping slightly) over sauce.
3. Season ricotta with salt and pepper. Spread 1 cup ricotta over tortillas in pan. Top with 1/2 cup tomato-basil sauce, 1/2 chard mixture, 1/3 cup mozzarella and 1 Tbs. Romano cheese. Repeat layering with 3 more tortillas, 1 cup ricotta, 1/2 cup tomato-basil sauce, remaining chard mixture, 1/3 cup mozzarella and 1 Tbs. Romano cheese; place remaining tortillas on top. Spread remaining 1 cup tomato-basil sauce over tortillas; cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup mozzarella and 1 Tbs. Romano cheese, and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes, then unmold, and cut into wedges. Serve with warmed remaining tomato sauce on the side.