Tricolore Salad with Roquefort and Hazelnuts
30 minutes or fewer
This classic and colorful Italian salad
is simple to make, pretty to look at, and delicious to eat. You can make the vinaigrette and assemble the greens in a mixing bowl ahead of time for serving ease at dinnertime—just keep the greens covered to preserve freshness.
- 7 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. pure maple syrup
- 5 oz. baby arugula leaves (10 cups, loosely packed)
- 2 large Belgian endive (6 leaves each), cut crosswise into ¾-inch-wide strips, cores discarded
- 1 7-oz. head radicchio, quartered, cored, and sliced into ribbons
- 3 oz. Roquefort or creamy blue cheese, crumbled (½ cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
1. To make Vinaigrette: Whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, and maple syrup in glass measuring cup. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Salad: Toss together arugula, endive, and radicchio in large bowl. Add 3 to 4 Tbs. Vinaigrette, and toss to coat.
3. Divide Salad among serving plates. Sprinkle with Roquefort and toasted hazelnuts. Drizzle with more Vinaigrette, if desired.
January/February 2011 p.62