Tropical Fruit Sauté
March is peak season for tropical fruits found south of the equator, so there's no better time for an exotic fruit salad.
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 mango, cubed (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 Tbs. rum, optional
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 ½ cups vegan vanilla ice cream
- 3 Tbs. chopped macadamia nuts
1. Bring sugar and 1 Tbs. water to a simmer in large skillet over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook 3 to 5 minutes without stirring, or until sugar turns amber, swirling skillet occasionally to ensure even caramelization.
2. Add margarine, then add pineapple and mango, and cook 2 to 3 minutes until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally. Add orange juice, rum, if using, and nutmeg. Fold in banana slices. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. Divide warm fruit mixture among six dessert dishes. Top with scoops of ice cream, and sprinkle with macadamia nuts.