Tropical Scones with Papaya Glaze
Makes 16 scones
Both ripe and dried papaya are used to give these scones a subtle sweetness.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup chopped dried papaya
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut, plus more for sprinkling, optional
- 1½ tsp. coconut extract
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- ¼ cup chopped ripe papaya
- 3 Tbs. confectioners sugar
1. To make Scones: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Whisk together egg and 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. cold water together in medium bowl. Stir in dried papaya, shredded coconut, coconut extract, and orange zest in medium bowl. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Pat into 8-inch circle. Cut into 16 2-inch rounds, patting together scraps to make more scones. Place scones 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, to make Glaze: purée papaya and confectioners’ sugar in food processor until smooth. Spread 1 tsp. Glaze over each cooled Scone. Sprinkle with shredded coconut (if using).
March 2014 p.65