Tunisia Meets Provence Salad
Tiziana Marchante, of Naples, Fla., created this recipe as an homage to her roots—she was born in Tunisia and raised in Provence, where refreshing rice salads
are popular during summertime.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 apple, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. dried mint
- 12 pitted black olives, optional
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Drain, and cool.
2. Meanwhile, place cucumbers in bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
3. Place onion in separate bowl, sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
4. When rice is cool, toss together cucumbers, onion, bell peppers, apple, oil, lemon juice, mint, and olives (if using) in large bowl. Stir in rice, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve at room temperature, or chilled.
June 2012 p.10