Tunisian Carrot Salad with Radishes and Olives
30 minutes or fewer
This brightly colored salad
adds a fresh, festive touch to the meal. Blanching the carrot slices gives them a crisp-tender texture and brings out their sweetness. For best results, serve the salad at room temperature.
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices (3 cups)
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes (3 to 4 radishes)
- ¼ cup chopped green olives
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch carrots 3 to 4 minutes, or until just tender. Transfer to bowl of ice water to stop cooking; drain, and transfer to large bowl. Stir in radishes and olives.
March 2010 p.53
2. Heat oil, garlic, cumin, and paprika in small skillet over medium heat 2 minutes, or until garlic sizzles and starts to brown. Stir oil mixture into carrot mixture. Add lemon juice to skillet to remove any last bits in pan, then stir into carrot mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in cilantro. Let stand 20 minutes at room temperature to marry flavors.