Turkish Eggplant Kebobs with Garlic-Yogurt Sauce
30 minutes or fewer
Eggplant takes time to tenderize on the grill, but the results are worth it. Serve over orzo or tucked into warm pitas.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 cloves minced garlic (2 tsp.), divided
- 3 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 24 1-inch cubes, or 12 baby eggplant, halved
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 16 pitted green olives
1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. Mix yogurt with 1 tsp. garlic in bowl; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and remaining garlic in large bowl; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add eggplant and onion, and toss to coat.
4. Thread eggplant, onion, and olives onto 4 skewers. Grill skewers 6 minutes, flip skewers, cook 6 minutes more, then flip again, and cook 6 minutes more, or until eggplant is tender. Transfer to platter, drizzle with dressing, and serve with yogurt sauce.
July/August 2011 p.69