Turkish Eggplant Pie
This delicate vegetable pie is seasoned with spices you’d find in a Turkish bazaar.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 10-inch fluted-edge tart pan with cooking spray.
2. Roast eggplants on baking sheet 50 minutes, or until tender. Cool. Scoop flesh into food processor; purée until smooth.
3. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mint, anise, cumin, paprika, and pepper flakes; sauté 8 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in eggplant and garlic; cook 10 minutes.
4. Press 1 phyllo sheet into prepared tart pan. Spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat layering with remaining phyllo and breadcrumbs. Roll over edges, and coat with cooking spray.
5. Spoon eggplant mixture into crust. Arrange tomato slices and olives over top, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (if using). Bake 1 hour, or until phyllo is golden. Cool 10 minutes before serving.