Makes 16 pancakes
30 minutes or fewer
Russet potatoes contribute the essential starchy texture to hold these fritters together, and sweet potatoes add flavor and color.
- 3 medium russet (baking) potatoes (2 lb.), peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or matzo meal
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Place potatoes in colander, squeeze out water, and discard. Mix potatoes and grated onions in large bowl.
2. Stir egg yolks into potatoes. Fold in flour and baking powder, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites and green onions into potato mixture.
4. Coat bottom of skillet with oil, and heat over medium-high heat until drop of batter sizzles on surface. Ladle 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto skillet, and flatten with spatula. Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. Add more oil as needed to fry remaining batter.