Ultimate Vegan Chili
This chili is made with a base of seitan and mushrooms
for a rich, thick dish that is, for lack of a better word, meaty! If you like your chili three-alarm hot, add an extra chipotle chile or two.
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped (1½ cups)
- 2 8-oz. pkgs. seitan, chopped (3 cups)
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. celery salt
- 3 15-oz. cans chili beans, such as Bush's Best Chili Beans, partially drained, or 1 can each black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, partially drained
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 to 3 large carrots)
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 to 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring often. Add garlic and chipotle chile, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add seitan, tomato paste, paprika, oregano, chili powder, celery salt, and 1 cup water; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add beans, carrots, tamari, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 hour, or until carrots are tender.
February 2010 p.51