Veg Greek Meatballs in a Fragrant Tomato Sauce with Feta Cheese
Serves 12 (Makes 48 meatballs)
Seitan and cottage cheese get blended together for veg meatballs that will fool even diehard omnivores. This recipe makes a lot—leftovers are great in sandwiches or can be reheated. Recipe adapted from The Family Dinner.
- 3 8-oz. pkg. plain seitan, rinsed and drained
- 1 8-oz. pkg. low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint and/or parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 25-oz. jar tomato sauce
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
1. Pulse seitan in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to bowl, and add all ingredients except oil, tomato sauce, and feta. Mash mixture with hands or potato masher until mixture comes together. Season with salt and pepper,
if desired. Chill 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking dish with oil. Scoop seitan mixture into golf ball–size meatballs, and place in prepared baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
3. Pour tomato sauce over meatballs, and sprinkle with feta (if using). Bake 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.
September 2011 p.65