In the holiday spirit, our November/December 2009 Ask a Chef participant, Native Foods’ founder Tanya Petrovna, shared this recipe with us. It’s yummy and moist out of the pan, or Petrovna suggests serving it with a dollop of vegan cream cheese frosting livened up with a bit of citrus. Check out Petrovna’s Dream Cheese Frosting in The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook (nativefoods.com/extras/goods).
- 2½ cups unbleached flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ cup nonhydrogenized vegetable shortening
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil, and dust with flour. Sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and cloves in large bowl.
2. Beat shortening with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually incorporate brown sugar and lemon zest, and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until smooth.
3. Combine molasses and vinegar in bowl or 4-cup heatproof measuring cup. Stir 1 cup boiling water into molasses mixture. Gradually stir molasses mixture into batter.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until gingerbread begins to pull away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.