Vegetable Medley Paella
30 minutes or fewer
Two shortcut ingredients—instant rice and frozen veggies—turn an all-day event into a quick weeknight entrée. Any frozen vegetable medley works well in this paella.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 spicy soy sausages (7 oz. total), thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 16-oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers from jar, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 ¼ cups instant brown rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
1. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add sausages; cook 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Add onion, garlic, paprika, and Italian seasoning; sauté 2 minutes, until onion softens.
2. Add vegetables and roasted peppers, and cook 2 minutes, or until vegetables begin to thaw. Stir in rice.
3. Add wine and 1¼ cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
November/December 2006 p.43