Vegetable Rice Pilaf with Garam Masala
Butter infused with our Garam Masala gets drizzled over this filling pilaf entrée.
- 3 Tbs. canola oil, divided
- 1 red potato, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 ½ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds, optional
- 1 ½ tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 ½ Tbs. melted butter or ghee
1. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbs. oil and potato. Cook 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, and sauté 6 minutes, or until diced potato is golden. Transfer to bowl, and set aside.
2. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil, garlic, cumin, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves to wok or skillet. Sauté 30 seconds. Add broccoli, cauliflower, and corn, and sauté 30 seconds. Add rice and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand 2 minutes, then fluff with fork. Stir in almonds, if using, and potato mixture. Mix Garam Masala with melted butter; drizzle over pilaf.
September 2010 p.70