Vegetable Rosti with Tomato-Corn Relish
30 minutes or fewer
A little flour and egg bind together grated vegetables to make satisfying patties. We’ve topped them with a summery relish, but you could easily substitute salsa or sautéed mushrooms.
- 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped (1½ cups)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. chopped onion
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 medium white potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. To make Tomato-Corn Relish: Combine all ingredients in bowl. Set aside.
2. To make Rosti: Grate potatoes, carrots, and zucchini onto clean kitchen towel. Wrap towel around vegetables, and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and stir in onion, flour, and garlic. Fold in eggs, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Coat large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Spoon 2 Tbs. Rosti mixture for
each patty, shaping with spoon to make patties. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until bottoms are crisp. Carefully flip with spatula, and cook 2 minutes more, or until browned on both sides. Serve with Tomato-Corn Relish.
June 2011 p.63