Vegetables with Farro
Here, farro is paired with firm vegetables that stand up to low heat and long cooking times. If you have a slow cooker with a sauté or sear function, you can briefly brown the vegetables first for richer flavor, then set them aside to be added to the dish in step 2.
- 1 cup farro, rinsed and drained
- 1¾ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup halved Brussels sprouts
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced ¾-inch thick (1¼ cups)
- ½ medium fennel bulb, cored and cut into ½-inch dice (1¼ cups), fronds reserved
- 1½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into pieces (1 cup)
- 3 green onions, sliced (½ cup)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Stir together farro and broth in slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high 1 hour.
2. Combine Brussels sprouts, carrots, fennel, rosemary, and salt in large bowl, then place vegetables on top of farro. Cover with lid, adjust slow cooker setting to low, and cook 2 to 3 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Let slow cooker stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Fluff farro mixture with fork, and transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with orange pieces, green onions, and fennel fronds, and drizzle with lemon juice.
March 2014 p.40