Here, the rich, dark roux of a Louisiana-style gumbo is laced with carrots, parsnips, okra, and green beans, but feel free to substitute any vegetables you have on hand.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
- 3 carrots, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 parsnip, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra, optional
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Stir together oil and flour in Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot until smooth. Cook over high heat 10 minutes, or until roux turns a dark caramel color, stirring constantly.
2. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Stir in all remaining ingredients and 4 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 40 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Serve over rice.