Waldorf Blue Cheese Cascadian Couscous Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Margee Berry, of White Salmon, Wash., created this colorful Waldorf salad
after being inspired by the abundant fresh produce and other ingredients at her local farmers’ market.
- 1 cup whole-wheat or plain couscous
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnut oil
- 3 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup diced Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- ⅓ cup dried tart cherries or dried sweetened cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 3 Tbs. crumbled blue cheese
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 8 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with fork, and transfer to large bowl to cool.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in small bowl.
3. Stir apples, celery, cherries, hazelnuts, and dressing into couscous. Top with blue cheese.
July/August 2011 p.14