30 minutes or fewer
Four of these omega-3-packed bites served over grains makes a great supper.
- 1 cup walnut halves, plus 16 more for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ cup cooked brown lentils
- 4 tsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. toasted walnut oil
- 16 large button mushrooms (2-inch diameter), stems removed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1. Purée 1 cup walnuts with parsley and garlic in food processor until thick and pasty. Add lentils, 2 tsp. vinegar, sage, and walnut oil; purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Fill each mushroom cap with 11/2 Tbs. walnut mixture, and press remaining walnut halves into filling. Place on plate.
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, round side down, and cook 5 minutes,
or until mushrooms begin to release their juices and brown on bottom, shaking pan occasionally. Carefully
add broth to pan, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and filling has puffed and browned slightly. Remove mushrooms from pan, then add remaining 2 tsp. vinegar
to pan. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens slightly. Serve
mushrooms drizzled with sauce.
January/February 2011 p.70