Warm Barley Salad with Baked Tofu
Most people think of barley in soups, but the chewy grain adds nutty flavor to meal-style salads
such as this one.
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts only, sliced (⅔ cup)
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (1½ cups)
- 8 oz. seasoned baked tofu, such as tomato basil, cut into 4 slices
1. Bring barley and 11/2 cups water to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook according to package directions, or until tender. Remove from heat, and steam, covered, 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Coat large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add green onions, and cook 1 minute. Stir in corn, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until skins are no longer taut. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to bowl with barley, and mix gently.
3. Heat same skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add tofu, and cook 1 minute per side, or until heated through. Cut each piece into 2 strips. Divide barley mixture among 4 plates, and top each with 2 strips tofu.