Warm Broccoli Salad with Lemon Dressing
30 minutes or fewer
A hint of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest add a subtle yet elegant tang to this springtime full-meal saladfine for lunch or dinner. To make this meal fully health-oriented, serve the salad
with bran muffins scented with lemon extract or grated lemon zest, and follow up with a lemon-based dessert such as lemon bars with lemon sorbet. To drink? Iced or hot lemon tea, of course, if you want something nonalcoholic.
- 9 oz. fresh tortelloni, flavored or plain
- ¼ cup plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. broccoli florets
- 6 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained and diced
- 1½ tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 Tbs. toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add pasta, and cook until it floats to surface, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, bring a second pot of water to a boil over medium heat. When boiling, add florets, and blanch for about 3 minutes, or until color turns bright green and stems are just tender. Remove from heat, drain and rinse briefly under cold water. Put diced tofu, tortelloni and broccoli florets into a large serving bowl.
- Combine 1DA4 cup olive oil, mustard, onion powder, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper, and whisk to combine well. Drizzle dressing over broccoli, and toss to combine. Garnish with pine nuts, and serve.
This terrific pasta dish pairs well with a crisp Italian Pinot Grigio. The Tiamo Pinot Grigio Garganega is one option, or try the milder Pieropan Soave Classico to balance the lemony flavor.