Warm Brussels Sprouts and Fennel Vichyssoise
30 minutes or fewer
This updated vichyssoise is served piping hot to bring out the best flavors.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 5-oz. russet potato, peeled and cut into 3/8- to ½-inch dice (scant 1 cup)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped (1 cup), plus 2 Tbs. chopped fennel fronds
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ¾ tsp. whole fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. salt
- 12 oz. medium Brussels sprouts, cut into eighths
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add potato, chopped fennel bulb, shallots, and fennel seeds; sauté 3 minutes. Add salt and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are tender, but still bright green.
2. Purée soup in blender in 1-cup batches until very smooth, transferring purée to saucepan after each batch. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and warm gently on stove. Sprinkle each serving with fennel fronds.
December 2012 p.51