Warm German Potato Salad
30 minutes or fewer
can be made ahead of time and warmed in the microwave. Be careful when using Liquid Smoke to flavor the tempeh. Too much and the meal will taste like an ashtray.
Tempeh Bacon Crumbles
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 8-oz. pkg. plain tempeh, grated or finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. blackstrap molasses
- 1 ½ tsp. ketchup or tomato paste
- 2 drops Liquid Smoke
- 3 lb. small red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced (2 cups)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped green onions, fresh parsley, or chives, for sprinkling
1. To make Tempeh Bacon Crumbles: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in soy sauce, molasses, and ketchup, and bring to a boil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture is dry. Stir in Liquid Smoke 1 drop at a time. Transfer tempeh to paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
2. To make Salad: Place potatoes in large pot of salted water; bring to a boil. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-heat, add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat, and whisk in vinegar and 1/3 cup water.
4. Drain potatoes, and transfer to large serving bowl. Stir onion mixture into potatoes. Sprinkle with Tempeh Bacon Crumbles and green onions. Serve warm.
October 2012 p.56