Warm Spiced Lentil Bowl with Yogurt and Smoked Almonds
30 minutes or fewer
Thicker than a soup, this lentil dish makes a hearty one-bowl meal.
- 2 ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 ½ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (⅓ cup)
- 1 rib celery, chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 medium leek, trimmed and chopped (white and light green parts)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- ⅓ cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over low heat. Add cumin seeds, and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in carrot, celery, and leek. Increase heat to medium-high, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth and lentils. Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in garlic, and cook 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Ladle lentil mixture into 4 bowls, and garnish with almonds and yogurt.
December 2011 p.28